Sunday, February 1, 2009

Vicksburg

I am overjoyed about our victory at Vicksburg! Unfortunately, my half-sister Emilie Helm, who is visiting us here after the death of her husband, does not, and I am afraid will not, share this joy with us. Her husband was a Confederate general, and she finds the oath of allegiance that is neccesary to enter Union territory as a desecration to her husband's grave. To make matters worse, she had to pass through Union territory to return home after General Helm's funeral. Abraham solved this problem by having her brought here with us. Having her here for me to talk to is something I enjoy; however, I fear that her intense loyalty to her deceased husband may end up creating a rift between us.




3 comments:

  1. I am truly sorry to hear of your half-sister's loss. The Confederates knew that loved ones would die and they took the risk whenever they went against us, Miss Lincoln. I hope that you can all recover from this devastation. Tell me, how is President Lincoln doing?

    -Ulysses S. Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is doing remarkably well for a man who is in charge of a nation is in the midst of a Civil War. He cannot be expected to be happy or completely fine, but your help has been greatly appreciated, as it has helped reduce the amount of stress that he has been under.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping you are well, and happen to mend the rift between your half sister and yourself. This war has already torn so many apart.

    ReplyDelete