Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Battle of Gettysburg

On the last day of Battle of Gettysburg, I was thrown from my carriage near Mount Pleasant Hospital, as I am sure has already been publicized. I received a large gash on my head from this fall, and the doctors, who fortunately responded to the accident immediately, said that it was a serious injury. However, I am currently recovering, and it pleases me to hear of the retreat of the rebels during the Battle of Gettysburg. It seems that the tide has turned, although our army suffered many losses and was too exhausted afterwards to make any advances. The death toll reached staggering amounts, though, and I am anxiously awaiting the end of this war. Our life in the White House has been full of worry and strife; hopefully, we will have some time to be in higher spirits.



2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear of your injury, Mrs. Lincoln, and I wish you a full recovery. Although it was considered a victory for your side, I believe we can both agree that these winnings cannot continue while so many perish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tide has indeed turned in our favor, Mrs. Lincoln. We must now hope to reach a complete victory without losing too many more of our fine men. I wish you a speedy recovery and the best of luck to come.

    ReplyDelete