Friday, January 23, 2009

Battle of Antietam

The Battle of Antietam was a good victory for us, and Abraham is now confident enough to issue a doctine to free slaves. This battle was much better for me than the rest of this year has been. My half brother Sam died at the Battle of Shiloh, which was in April, while my half brother Aleck died more recently, in August. Aleck "made his choice long ago. He decided against my husband, through him against me. He has been fighting against us and since he chose to be our deadly enemy, I see no special reason why I should bitterly mourn his death." On the other hand, my little Willie died towards the end of February... I refuse to wear anything but black, to show that I am still mourning the death of yet another child of mine.



The American Journey

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Lincoln, I am sorry for your loss. Many have died, believe me, for I have watched them. I cannot turn five minuets to help another without fear of losing the one I was helping. I am but glad this battle was one of victory for the Union. Let us hope and pray President Lincoln will prevail.

    ReplyDelete