Monday, January 26, 2009

The Emancipation Proclamation

Slavery has finally been outlawed! Although many continue to "harp on my half-brothers [who sided with the Confederates] whom, I never knew since they were infants," I have been an ardent abolitionist for a long time. This is a day that I will always remember and celebrate, and I am very proud of Abraham for making this proclamation. It will certainly cause controversy, but it was the right thing for him to do. Elizabeth and I were discussing ways to improve funds for the Contraband Relief Association, as it would certainly help many of the newly freed slaves if it contained more money. "The immense number of Contrabands are suffering immensely, many without bed covering and having to use any bits of carpeting to cover themselves--many dying of want." However, it is much easier to raise funds for white soldiers than it is for freed slaves.




No comments:

Post a Comment